Monday, March 21, 2011

Lessons Learned

You’ll get no philosophical ponderings from today’s post. BUT…………you’ll find out some what-to-do and what-not-to-do’s regarding your next move…maybe.

First…........What not to do:
*Don’t unplug things as you’re cleaning without paying attention to what cord goes where. You could end up with a really yucky smell in your refrigerator after a day or two.

Next….......What TO do:
*Be fearless in your determination to get your way (Southern women already know about this). Here’s the story:
My Verizon phone doesn’t work here in the village so I have a new tracfone that you add minutes to as you go. So today I called Verizon to cancel my service. The phone lady gladly agreed to cancel it immediately then informed me I would have a $270.00 early cancellation fee. Are You Kidding Me????? I’ve had Verizon for about 12 years. She told me I added a phone in June that automatically put me on a new two year contract. All I could think of was….THOMAS!!!!!!! He was still on my family plan when he bought a new fancy phone last summer.
So I tried to negotiate. There must be a way to get around this, right? She insisted that many things were negotiable at Verizon, but NOT early cancellation fees. She offered me a couple of options (like passing my contract to someone else or downgrading to a less expensive service), both reasonable ways to serve out my two year sentence. It felt more like death row, and I began pleading for my life. She wouldn’t budge. She would have made a dandy executioner in another life (or another country).
But I’ve seen ‘Escape From Alcatraz’ more than once, and bondage is not my thing (well at least not from Verizon). So I took some deep breaths and prayed and asked who else I could speak to. She said, “You mean like my supervisor?” “Yeah, your supervisor.” (He was bound to have a cake with a file). She insisted he would not be of help. I insisted back. And to make this getting-too-long story short again, she left, then came back and......... issued my pardon!!!!
“Ms. Vermeer, your early cancellation fee has been waived.”

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???????? WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I’m sprung!

No comments:

Post a Comment